Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Trip: Day 11

After those stars and the freezing temperatures, the only thing I could do was work on getting my car restarted.  It took very little time as the LOA people no doubt have had to do this numerous times before.

My tent packed, my car up and running, and my tuna salad from a can (Bumblebee) eaten, I decided it was time to head to see this "big stupid hole in the ground" known as the Grand Canyon.  I hopped in the car running on the taste of a dream still left in my mouth and no good sleep to find and just drove.  Silence.  Silence for my companion and thoughts streaming in and out of my head like a tide that can't make up its mind if it is low or high.

I payed some duckets, stuck a tag onto my car, and I was in.  The grand canyon isn't as not-populated as you might think.  There is a whole damn town inside the park. Grocery store, post office, the whole 9 yards.  I went to the grocery store and snagged a cliff bar and some Hawaiin macadamia nut things that were very, very tasty.  I decided no food I got in the grand canyon that was hot or cold would be worth the jacked up price to get it, so I stuck with my already bought almonds, cliff bar, the Hawaiin things, and some sunflower seeds.

From there, I drove to the visitors center and walked.

And for the rest of the day, know that if I haven't been telling you what I was doing, most likely. 
I walked.

From the visitors center, I crested the hill and there it was.  Off of Mather Point I saw the drop and then the huge expanse of land ahead of me.  The grand canyon in all it's glory!  I can't say it was breath taking as I've been jaded by movies and television, but I can say that to use the word "awesome" to describe it would be one of the first time's I've ever heard awesome used properly.  It truly is awe inspiring.

From Mather Point I wound my way around the lip of the canyon.  Not sure how long it is, but I walked from Mather Point to the Bright Angel Trailhead.  I took stops and pictures along the way and it was a relaxing time.

At the trailhead, I went down.  I wasn't about to go to the Grand Canyon and not be adventurous!  I hiked down into the canyon a mile and a half, then I hiked back up.  I would have gone further, but I was running on no sleep.  Screw that.

Going up, as you might imagine, is not as simple as going down.

Once at the top, I found a spot, and I sat.  People watching be something I do and some thing I do very well, I sat there and watched the people go here and there, talking all kinds of nonsense.   I must say, I've people watched at a lot of places, but never have I ever come away thinking:
"There are beautiful people everywhere!"

And its true.  The Grand Canyon is full of beautiful people.  The languages are all over the place and it is something to hear Chinese and french being spoke on either side of you.  Then there are the differences in style.  What I would never consider wearing was worn by an entire bus full of people as just part of it.  It's fashion and its not mine I suppose.

Most notably, the differences in faces of people.  When I say beautiful, lets be serious, I don't mean everyone there was movie star worthy (A lot were, but not all by any means).  I mean that there were such different structures of faces staring out of everywhere.  Noses and eyebrows and cheekbones and lips all combined in the gorgeous hodgepodge of people walking here and there.  It was incredible to see and it just struck me as something beautiful.  Humans, all of us, looking different but all the same.  I just thought that was something incredible.

4:30pm, I snagged a prime spot next to a tree close to the edge of the canyon, and I just looked out.  A California Condor flew 15 feet above my head, and as the sun started going down, a whole lot of people jealously rustled behind my some what secluded spot.  This sunset was mine, and I was not moving.

The sun crawled its way down the side of the canyon, and as its last rays went out behind the rim, i snagged my keys and went to my car.

I found myself, after about an hour, at Williams' Grand Canyon Hotel/Hostel.  I met two ladies from France on holiday and we hunted out some food.  We ended up at the Brewery (I may have influenced that decision) and at some tasty burgers (and a veggie burger for one of them) and then we drank some good beer.  The beer was much better than I expected it to be, but I am totally okay with that.

After that, we headed back to the hotel and said our goodbyes.  I was exhausted and my knees kind of hurt. I needed a good nights sleep, and I haven't slept in a bed for a long time.  

Good Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment