Monday, February 3, 2014

Nerding Night Out at The Next Level Games

I would consider myself a nerd.  Not a smart one mind you (though, I'm not dumb... I don't think.)  No, I would consider myself a gaming nerd.

I love games.  Starting with my NES and SEGA from years past, I've owned every single system, often multiple iterations of them, whenever the next generation came out.  SNES, Super Mario World was my jam. N64, I was there slamming Gannon/my controller in the Water Temple.  PS1, Cloud, you are really letting Tiffa and the crew down.

My favorite games were definitely the fantasy ones.  Tolkien got me Hooked with the Hobbit, and my forrays into the Elder Scrolls took(take) a toll on both my psyche and my social life.  I loves swords and sorcery!

My entire bookshelf in my room is devoted to wizards, fairies, swords, and elves
and personal finance...


Somewhere into my forrays into Everquest, I realized that their world was somewhat... boring.  I didn't think my character should look that way, even though it is kinda cool.  I want him/her to look different.  I want to use my own imagination, not borrow the vision of others.  I want to create my own place, and story, and have others join me in its creation.  I want to avoid MMO Trolls at all cost.

Dungeons and Dragons was my game!

Dungeons and Dragons takes time, and gathering people is difficult, so perhaps, when I am not felling orcs (or, in most cases, Being said Orcs, goblins, and all the other foul and fair creatures the game has to offer) I needed something else to do.

Pathfinder, D&D 3.5 and 4e. Glow in the dark binder full of magic cards... for the win.


Gathering people was difficult, so Magic the Gathering seemed like the obvious choice.

IT'S GOT GATHERING IN THE NAME!

Note* This isn't exactly cannon, I had in fact encounter Magic in my youth, around Ice Age and Tempest series, but I began anew in 2012 during the summer months.  I spent too much time, and way to much money getting back into the game, but then three months ago I stopped.


While it was fun, I moved on to other hobbies. I still enjoy playing though, and, upon hearing the new set was coming out, I was moved to rejoin the ranks of players, if only for one night!

So, the prerelease set, I traded my sparse, miniscule, tax ravaged income in for one more foray into the unknown.

I sat beside friends, neighbors, and other cool cats who play this game, and I held my own in their ranks!


"Where," you may find yourself asking, "can I take my first look into this 'Magic the Gathering'?"

Well, while there are many places you can go close to you that are simply one google search away, I spent my time at The Next Level Games. 

The venue is large, often times loud, and hot on pre-release nights, but their usual crowd is more than happy to help first time players get a grip on how it all works.
The staff is patient (impressively so) and will help answer any questions you have, and their collection of games and nerdery doesn't stop at Magic.  Dungeons and Dragons, comics, board games and more line the walls of their kingdom of nerding.  If you're looking for a place to start a new game with friends, The Next Level Games is a great choice!

The important part of all these games is that they are interactive.  People are present and, more often than not, happy to be a part of the interaction.  You meet new friends and make new rivals, and its all in good fun.  You tell stories and you can let your imagination run wild. 

So get out off your computer, grab some dice/cards/miniatures, and bring some friends or make some new ones, and start playing games!


No comments:

Post a Comment